Wright Tool and Forge
Link to our Research
The 7/30/1926 edition of The News of Newport, PA notes the election of the Board of directors for Forged Steel Products. They are (same as the prior year): E. W. Meyers, W. H. Kissinger, H. D. Neff, G. H. Frank, A. L. Gelnett, H. W. Wretz(Probably Wertz), C. Nelson Wright of Cuyahoga Falls, OH, G. P. & W. H. Taylor of Mont Clair, NJ. NOTE: C. Nelson Wright would found Wright Tool & Forge a year later.
The 1/25/1927 edition of The Cincinnati Inquirer announces that Wright Tool & Forge filed with the state as a business on 1/22/1927. The paper lists the following principals:
- C. Nelson Wright - 7/29/1926 Member of the Board - Forged Steel Products Co. President of Wright Tool & Forge // Co-Founder/VP Wooster Brass Co 5/11/1940
- W. E. Wright - appears to be prior owner of the W. E. Wright Company // Co-Founder of The Montrose Dairy Co. 10/20/1924
- Edwin W. Brouz ("Brouz" is how his name appears in the Wright founding announcement. However, we believe he is also referred to in newspapers as "E. W. Brouse" and probably "E. W. Barnes") - Co-Founder of The Main Highways Land Company 6/17/1921 // Co-Founder of The Montrose Dairy Co. 10/20/1924
- A. H. Cummins - appears to be a lawyer // Co-Founder of Jahant Foundry & Heating Company 11/14/1917 // Co-Founder of Lyman Bailey Rubber Company 11/17/1919 // Co-Founder of Eaton-Handy-Harpham Company 1/16/1920 // Co-Founder of The Main Highways Land Company 6/17/1921
- C. Blake McDowell - Co-Founder of Jahant Foundry & Heating Company 11/14/1917 // Co-Founder of Lyman Bailey Rubber Company 11/17/1919 // Co-Founder of Eaton-Handy-Harpham Company 1/16/1920 // Co-Founder of The Main Highways Land Company 6/17/1921 // Co-Founder of The Thirty-Eight North Main Street Company 7/24/1923 // Co-Founder of The Rutledge Drug Company 8/7/1923 (also "E. W. Barnes") // Co-Founder of The National Laundry & Cleaning Co 12/23/1923 (also "E. W. Barnes") // Co-Founder of The City View Storage Company 4/12/1926 (also "E. W. Barnes") // Co-Founder of The Akron-Cleveland Speedway Company 8/5/1926 // Co-Founder of The Heldston Land 1/18/1927 (also "E. W. Barnes") // Co-Founder of C. Blake McDowell, Inc. 6/17/1929 // Co-Founder of The Akron Central Tower Company 7/31/1929
The 11/26/1932 edition of The Star newspaper (Marion, OH) reports that the newly patented friction clutch mechanism for a ratchet - Jacob H. Prettyman Patent #1,859,600 - will begin production the following Monday, the 28th of November. The article notes that Mr. Prettyman will immediatly move from Marion to Barberton to oversee production of the tool.
The 2/3/1966 edition of The Akron Beacon Journal reports the retirement of C. Nelson Wright as President and his son, Mr. Richard B. Wright takes the position. C. Nelson Wright becomes Chairman of the Board. The 4/3/1972 edition of The Akron Beacon Journal carries the obituary of founder, C. Nelson Wright. Interestingly, the obituary does note that Mr. Wright was a tool salesman before founding Wright Tool & Forge. Research continues to determine for whom he sold tools.
Wright Tool & Forge (Barberton, OH)
Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks
Contract Production For:
- MATCO (Ratchets, 3/4 Drive Sockets)
- MAC (Ratchets, Specialty Sockets)
- Montgomery Wards - Speedmaster (Ratchets at least)