Girard Wrench Manufacturing Company
Girard Wrench Manufacturing Company (Girard, PA)- Several sources state that this company took over operations of the Walton Wrench Manufacturing Company of Girard, PA. Walton was incorporated/chartered April 26, 1874. According to Girard, A Canal Town's History by Geoffrey L Domowicz, the company was first formed in 1874 as the T. B. Walton Company, and shortly thereafter changed to the Walton Wrench Manufacturing Company. The company began manufacturing wrenches against Patent #117,679 by George B. Phillips of Cleveland, OH, and assigned to Joshua E. Hall, George J. Levake, William Norville, and A. Ward Fenton (could be Penton), all also of Cleveland. According to the book, due to the high cost of manufacturing the wrench, the company failed and was sold at a sherrif's sale in 1875. The company was purchased by William C. Culbertson, C. F. Rockwell, Charles F. Webster, and Rush S. Battles, who successfully operated under Girard Wrench Manufacturing Company (LLP).
On 5/24/1888, the Girard Wrench factory burned to the ground. The newspaper report gives us clues on the ownership, and therefore patents associated. It mentions the following owners of the company: W. C. Culbertson, R. S. Battles, C. W. Webster, and C. F. Rockwell. This article also notes the factory will not likely be rebuilt.
The obituary of Russ S. Battles (3/17/1904) notes that besides his 1/4 interest in Girard Wrench, he had significant financial interest in the Lake Erie Foundry and was Proprietor of the Climax Iron Works at Corry, PA.
The final mention we find of Girard Wrench is March, 1922 when they are named in a lawsuit with The Siberian Company, Ltd.
Patents likely associated:
- Patent #117,679 - Improvement in Wrenches - George B. Phillips of Cleveland, OH, - Awarded 8/1/1871 - assigned to Joshua E. Hall, George J. Levake, William Norville, and A. Ward Fenton (could be Penton), all also of Cleveland
- Patent #165,655 - Nut Wrench - Rush S. Battles awarded 7/20/1875
- Patent #166,587 - Nut Wrench - Matthew E. Campfield awarded 8/10/75 and assigned to Rush S. Battles
- Patent #260,771 - Monkey Wrench - Charles H. Miller of Erie - DATAMP reports manufacture by Girard
- Canadian Patent #16,300 - Monkey Wrench - Charles H. Miller of Erie - Assigned to Girard
Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks
- Girard (Wrenches) (First Use 4/1/1878)
- Standard Girard - (Wrenches) (First Use 3/30/1878)
- Girard Logo (Wrenches) (First Use 3/1917)