Much of the history of the Thorsen Tool Co. comes to us from The Shurtleff and Lawton Families: Genealogy and History. Thorsen Tool Co. was founded in 1926 in Emeryville, CA by:
- Sherm Haskins - Production
- E. A. Boyd - Salesman
- Pete Mortensen - Tool & Die Maker
The document tells us that by 1931, E. A. Boyd had split from the company to form Thorsen Tools Inc. at 1435 Bush St., a tool distribution company, and Pete Mortensen had returned to P&C. This left Sherm Haskins as the sole proprietor of the Thorsen Tool Co. In 1941, Thorsen was purchased from Sherm Haskins by Harry Peet and Roy Shurtleff, who was a silent investor and who's interest was looked after by his son Lawton. During WWII, the company focused strictly on mechanics hand tools, supplying a variety of tools to the Army via several small contracts, and obtaining a large contract to supply wrenches to Indian Motorcycles.
On 8/15/1968, Hydrometals announced it's intent to acquire Thorsen Tool of Emeryville, CA.
On 9/23/1973, Lawton Shurleff (interestingly noted as the founder of Thorsen in the article) named Scott G. Arbuckle as President of the company, and took over as Chairman of the Board. This article also announces the move from CA to Dallas, TX.
On 1/25/1977, Wallace-Murray Corp. announced it had purchased 350,000 shares of Hydrometals (parent company of Thorsen) from Lawton Shurleff, thereby taking over ownership of the company.
The last advertisements for Thorsen Tools we have found are in early 2009.
Thorsen Tool Co. (Emeryville, CA)
Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks
- Baker Hamilton (Hand Tools / Sets) (First Use 3/2007)
- Dog Bone (Wrenches) (First Use 5/31/2010)
- E-Z Twister (Ratcheting Screwdriver) (First Use 5/15/1981)
- Forge Works (Hand Tools / Sets) (Filed 9/21/1998 / No First Use Stated)