Utica Drop Forge & Tool Company
Utica was formed in 1895, probably September. The following three articles announce the formation of the company, the officers, the purchase of right to patented pliers, etc.
- American Machinist - May, 1896
- Iron Age - April, 1896
- Iron Age - October 1896 - This contains the most information of the three.
Early tools (Pre-1911 - triple diamond trademark) should be marked (based on advertisements from that period) with "UDF&T" or "Utica Drop Forge & Tool Company."
UDF was founded to manufacture a complete line of nippers and pliers. The purchased their tools and machinery from the Interchangeable Tool Company formerly of Boonton, NJ.
Officers at founding (Iron Age - April link above) were:
- William Pierrepont White - President (Director of Second National Bank of Utica)
- Charles A Miller - VP (attorney and counselor for the Savings Bank of Utica)
- Hugh White - Secretary & Treasurer
- John P. Campbell - (Superintendent of the NY Mills Company)
- Frederick S. Kellogg - (VP of C. C. Kellogg & Sons Co.)
- Fred C. McClary - Superintendent / Director
- H. Lawrance Wright - Assistant Superintendent / Director
Interestingly, the Democrat and Chronicle newspaper of Rochester, NY reported the new company on December 6, 1895 with the following principals:
- William M. White
- C. C. Kellogg
- T. R. Proctor
- H. L. White
- John P. Campbell
On 25 June, 1907, the Wilkes-Barre Times reported an extensive fire at the UDF factory causing an estimated $100,000 in damage. Most other newspapers reported the loss at $200,000.
14 August 1909 - James S. Sherman is VP
In 1936, the company reorganized as the Utica Drop Forge & Tool Corporation and added wrenches to their prolific line of pliers.
1939 - Frank P. Tenney is VP
March 1955, Willis V. Daugherty is President of UDF
June/July 1956 - Kelsey-Hayes Wheel purchases the majority stock of Utica Drop Forge. On 1 August of 1956, Kelsey-Hayes announces the completion of the acquisition.
February 1962 - Kelsey-Hayes moves UDF operations to Orangeburg, SC
March 1963 - Kelsey-Hayes splits off it's tool division and renames it to "Utica Drop Forge & Herbrand Tool Division."
Utica Drop Forge & Tool Co. (Utica, NY)
Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks
- Utica Tools (Arch) (Pliers, Wrenches, Nippers, Snips, etc.) (First use 12/1/1943)
- Utica (3 Interlaced Triangles) (Nippers, Pliers, Staple Pullers, and Seal Presses)(First use 12/1/1910)
- Triangles only (no letters) (All Tools) (All Tools Except Screwdrivers First Use 12/1/1910 // For Screwdrivers First Use 1/9/1953)
- Utica (Screwdrivers) (First Use 1/9/1953)
- UTICA - Block Text (Pliers, Wrenches, Nippers, Snips, etc.) (First use 12/1/1910)
- LUBRING (Pliers, Nippers, Wrenches, Snips, etc.) (First Use 8/1945)
- "Add Power to your Hands" - Text (Pliers, Wrenches, Snips, Nippers & Screwdrivers) (First Use 12/27/1950)
- RIB-LOCK - Block Text (Adjustable Pivot Hand Tools) (First Use 1/3/1952)
- RIB-JOINT - Block Text (Pliers) (First Use 9/5/1952)
- NO. 92 - Block Text (Wrenches) (First Use 8/28/1953)
Contract Production for
- Plomb Tool (Adjustables)
- Montgomery Ward - Master Quality (Pliers)
- Montgomery Ward - Lakeside (Pliers)