Wright Tool & Forge Research
Please be advised that this, along with all other "Research" Blogs are just that, research notes. It is not yet known if the discoveries here have any affilliation with the eventual Wright Tool and Forge.
- 1919 - The Iron Age Magazine - Lists a "Wright Tool Co." being formed in Bowling Green, KY by John Wright, S. Peterson and C. E. Wood. This company appears to have no affilliation with the eventual Wright Tool and Forge.
- In a 1920 "Certified List of Foreign and Domestic Corporations" listing, there is also a company named Wright Tool Works Inc. in Waukegan, IL, W. E. Wright (Ward Ellis) is listed as President. He is still listed as President in a 1929 University of Illinois Alumni listing.
- This snippet from the 1925 Iron Trade Review announces the dissollusion of the Wright Tool Co. (Bowling Green, KY) and business to be taken over by J. H. Wright and C. G. Wright.
- Patent number 1,712,473 for a socket holder/set was assigned to Wright Tool & Forge, awarded on 05/07/1929. The important note here is that the application was filed on 8/18/1927 by a George E. McWethy.
- This snippet has the Wright Tool & Forge Company being founded in Barberton, OH on 1/22/1927. It does not list officers / founders.
The 1/25/1927 edition of The Cincinnati Inquirer announces that Wright Tool & Forge filed with the state as a business on 1/22/1927. The paper lists the following principals:
- C. Nelson Wright - 7/29/1926 Member of the Board - Forged Steel Products Co. President of Wright Tool & Forge // Co-Founder/VP Wooster Brass Co 5/11/1940
- W. E. Wright - appears to be prior owner of the W. E. Wright Company // Co-Founder of The Montrose Dairy Co. 10/20/1924
- Edwin W. Brouz ("Brouz" is how his name appears in the Wright founding announcement. However, we believe he is also referred to in newspapers as "E. W. Brouse" and probably "E. W. Barnes") - Co-Founder of The Main Highways Land Company 6/17/1921 // Co-Founder of The Montrose Dairy Co. 10/20/1924
- A. H. Cummins - appears to be a lawyer // Co-Founder of Jahant Foundry & Heating Company 11/14/1917 // Co-Founder of Lyman Bailey Rubber Company 11/17/1919 // Co-Founder of Eaton-Handy-Harpham Company 1/16/1920 // Co-Founder of The Main Highways Land Company 6/17/1921
- C. Blake McDowell - Co-Founder of Jahant Foundry & Heating Company 11/14/1917 // Co-Founder of Lyman Bailey Rubber Company 11/17/1919 // Co-Founder of Eaton-Handy-Harpham Company 1/16/1920 // Co-Founder of The Main Highways Land Company 6/17/1921 // Co-Founder of The Thirty-Eight North Main Street Company 7/24/1923 // Co-Founder of The Rutledge Drug Company 8/7/1923 (also "E. W. Barnes") // Co-Founder of The National Laundry & Cleaning Co 12/23/1923 (also "E. W. Barnes") // Co-Founder of The City View Storage Company 4/12/1926 (also "E. W. Barnes") // Co-Founder of The Akron-Cleveland Speedway Company 8/5/1926 // Co-Founder of The Heldston Land 1/18/1927 (also "E. W. Barnes") // Co-Founder of C. Blake McDowell, Inc. 6/17/1929 // Co-Founder of The Akron Central Tower Company 7/31/1929
The 2/3/1966 edition of The Akron Beacon Journal reports the retirement of C. Nelson Wright as President and his son, Mr. Richard B. Wright takes the position. C. Nelson Wright becomes Chairman of the Board. The 4/3/1972 edition of The Akron Beacon Journal carries the obituary of founder, C. Nelson Wright. Interestingly, the obituary does note that Mr. Wright was a tool salesman before founding Wright Tool & Forge. Research continues to determine for whom he sold tools.