Utica was formed in 1895, probably September. The following three articles announce the formation of the company, the officers, the purchase of right to patented pliers, etc.
Early tools (Pre-1911 - triple diamond trademark) should be marked (based on advertisements from that period) with "UDF&T" or "Utica Drop Forge & Tool Company."
UDF was founded to manufacture a complete line of nippers and pliers. The purchased their tools and machinery from the Interchangeable Tool Company formerly of Boonton, NJ.
Officers at founding (Iron Age - April link above) were:
Interestingly, the Democrat and Chronicle newspaper of Rochester, NY reported the new company on December 6, 1895 with the following principals:
On 25 June, 1907, the Wilkes-Barre Times reported an extensive fire at the UDF factory causing an estimated $100,000 in damage. Most other newspapers reported the loss at $200,000.
14 August 1909 - James S. Sherman is VP
In 1936, the company reorganized as the Utica Drop Forge & Tool Corporation and added wrenches to their prolific line of pliers.
1939 - Frank P. Tenney is VP
March 1955, Willis V. Daugherty is President of UDF
June/July 1956 - Kelsey-Hayes Wheel purchases the majority stock of Utica Drop Forge. On 1 August of 1956, Kelsey-Hayes announces the completion of the acquisition.
February 1962 - Kelsey-Hayes moves UDF operations to Orangeburg, SC
March 1963 - Kelsey-Hayes splits off it's tool division and renames it to "Utica Drop Forge & Herbrand Tool Division."
Utica Drop Forge & Tool Co. (Utica, NY)
Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks
Contract Production for