Hand Tool Manufacturers C - E

3:45 am

C.M.B Wrench

The June 17, 1909 edition of The Iron Trade Review carries the incorporation announcement for C. M. B. Wrench Company.  Founders noted are W. Barton Coe, Charles Miller, and James J. Boyd.

This is an advertisement from January 9, 1907 edition of The Horseless Age showing a very similar socket wrench set made by the Miller Combination Tool Co.  Here is another advertisement from 1906.  The set is referred to as "Auto Universal Socket Wrenches." The incorporation of the Miller Combination Tool Co. was announced in the March 25, 1906 edition of Hardware.  Officers noted were Levi Elsohn, L. L. Silverman, William Joel and David Grody.  NOTE: In February of 1910, Levi Elsohn sued the Syracuse Wrench Company for non payment of royalties due for tools produced against patents sold to the wrench company by Elsohn.

C. M. B. Wrench Co. (Garwood, NJ)

Link to patents

Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks

C.M.B Wrench Patents

Image Description: 

C.M.B Wrench (Charles Miller) was one of the first to patent and produce "roto head" socket wrenches.
Socket Wrench - Patent #952,435

Image: 
Image 2 Description: 

Socket Wrench - Patent #952,436

Image 2: 

Chamberlain Wrench Company

Chamberlain Wrench Company (Bizmark, ND) - Incorporated April ​1913 to manufacture John W. Chamberlain's patented wrench - Patent #1,042,318.  Incorporators are John W. and Minnie J. Chamberlain and G. F. Dullam.  Mr. Chamberlain also applied for a patent for a combination claw hammer and plier multi-tool in 1906, however we cannot find that it was awarded.

Champion DeArment

This company began as the Champion Bolt Clipper Company.  The first mention we have found is the expansion of their factory in Evansburg, PA in 1892.  This expansion included a 200 lb. Hackney Drop Hammer.  The July 1891 edition of Iron Age notes the manufacture of the following products:  Champion Bolt Clipper, Excelsior Bolt Clipper, Champion Nail Head Nipper, Hoof & Clinch Nipper, Clinch Nippers, Buffers, Sole Knives, Clinch Tongs, Vise Jaws for Coach Makers, Fore Punch, Creasing Fuller, etc.

In 1887, Isaac G. Pollard assigned 2/3 of his patent #357,940 for a Combined Barrel Stand or Swing and Counter Support to Chauncy G. Wilder, George B. De Arment, and Mill B. Brown, all of Evansburg.  Interestingly, his second 1887 patent was for a Farriers Tool, Patent #366,605 but unassigned.  Another interesting note would be his 1886 Patent #343,920, also for a Barrel Stand and assigned again to Chauncy G. Wilder.  He also had a second patent in that year for a Sad Iron - Patent #341,942 - unassigned.  Yet another patent is found for a Barrel Stand in 1885, Patent #318,392, again unassigned.

George B. De Arment's first patent was Patent #388,957 - Bolt Cutter

DATAMP Patents for George B. De Arment

According to an announcement in the September 29,1892 edition of Iron Age, the company was manufacturing hammers at this time.

Champion Tool Company - The earliest mention we find of this name is in March of 1897 in a local newspaper.

Trade Names, Brands & Trademarks:

  • Champion - Block Text (Blacksmiths' Tools - see link for list) (First Use 1887 by Champion and it's predecessor, George B. De Arment.)
  • Anvil (Farriers' Tools - see link for list) (First Use 1893 by Champion and it's predecessor, George B. De Arment.)

Chantrell, John (Hazeltine & Chantrell, Reading HW Works, Chantrell Tool Co., Chantrell HW & Tool Co.)

​Hazeltine & Chantrell (Bridgeport, CT)

Article from American Machinist, September 23, 1882 on the socket wrench. (2 examples below) 

The following text provides a nice "middle year" history and is from an article printed in the 5/28/1887 Reading Times:

R​eading is to have another manufacturing extablishment, and one that in time will doubtless prove one of the most important industries of the city.  For about 2 years past Mr. John Chantrell, an Eastern inventor, who came to Reading from Bridgeport, CT, has been engaged in the manufacture of carpenters' tools at one of the foundries of the Reading Hardware Works, 6th & Willow Streets.  Mr. Chantrell is the patentee of a number of improved carpenters' tools, and brought to this city a large number of patterns, all covered by his patents, from which the Hardware Company manufactured the tools, and having now severed his connection with the above company, and also having secured all rights to the use of the patterns, a company has been formed, to be known as the "Chantrell Tool Company," for the purpose of engaging in the manufacture of carpenters' tools.  Among the gentlemen who compose the company are Mr. John Chantrell and his two sons, Felix and William, Sammuel Willits, Joshua Schaeffer and County Commissioner Samuel Fisher, all of Reading, and one or two gentlement from a distance.  The company has for the present leased the second story of the electric light building, South 7th St., and necessary shafting and machinery will be at once be put in and the tools removed from the foundry, and work comenced in about 10 days.  About a dozen skilled mechanics were employed by the Hardware Company upon this line of work, and nearly all of these men have made application for positions with the new company and most of them will be given employment.

Mr. Chantrell is the inventor of a number of improved carpenters' tools, among the most important being the Universal file handle and a bit brace, the latter being considered by all mechanics the best that is manufactured, and has had a wide sale.  All kinds of fine tools will be manufactured by the company, and only skilled mechanics will be employed...........

In June of 1896, the company doubled it's capital investment in order to add machinery to their factory.  This article from the July 24, 1890 edition of Iron Age names John H. Graham & Co. of NY as sole agents for Chantrell goods.  The article further elaborates on the products being produced by Chantrell: Mahogany finished screw drivers, Chantrell's patent tool handle in 2 sizes, with different assortment of tools, bit braces, drills, drill chuck, and Chantrell's patent file handle.  In the Iron Age link previously mentioned, browse to search result 4 of 4 to read an article about their screwdrivers.  This article mentions N(sp). J. Poindexter as the plant superintendent, and patentee of the shank of the screwdriver. 

Martin J. Poindexter Patent #423,951 - Tool Shank

Felix Chantrell Patent #427,460 Tool Handle - Assigned to Union Hardware Company (Torrington, CT) (Not in DATAMP)

DATAMP patents for John Chantrell

DATAMP patents for Felix Chantrell

Image Description: 

Small Example of a Felix Chantrell Patent #RE10145 (Reissue from Patent #254,275) ​wrench from The Wrenching News 2017 York auction listing.​

Image: 
Image 2 Description: 

Larger Example of a Felix Chantrell Patent #RE10145 (Reissue from Patent #254,275) ​wrench from The Wrenching News 2017 York auction listing.​

Image 2: 
Image 3 Description: 

Example Hazeltine & Chantrell Stamp

Image 3: 

Cheney, Henry Hammer Company

Henry Cheney Hammer Co. (Little Falls, NY) - Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks

  • Cheney (Adjustables)

Henry Cheney Hammer Patents // Titus Hose (inventor for company) Patents

JTC.net History Page

Davistown Museum Cheney Page

Progress is Fine Cheney Page

Chicago Manufacturing & Distributing Co.

Chicago Manufacturing & Distributing Co. (Chicago, IL) - The Chicago Secretary of State reports the company was incorporated March 1, 1911.  In 1948, A. Clark Moore is President.

Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks

  • Wright (Adjustables)

Gordon K. Wright - Patent #1,089,737 - Ratchet Wrench - Assigned to Chicago Mfg. & Distributing Co.

Chicago Manufacturing & Distributing Co. Patents

Chicago Pipe Wrench Company

Chicago Pipe Wrench Company (Chicago, IL) - Incorporated by William F. Rupp, Arthur W. O'Leary, and Emma S. O'Leary 4/8/1889.  This company was formed to produce a pipe wrench patented by Charles L. Dunham of Union City, PA, Patent #404,781.

Cleveland Screw Wrench Company

Cleveland Screw Wrench Company (Cleveland, OH) - American Machinist reports that in the first half of 1884, this company succeeded the company of Campfield & Sutliff.  It further notes that Mr. Campfield is retiring from the company to start a wrench company in Sterling, OH.  This was likely the Sterling Wrench Company.  This company appears to have been viable from about 1884 to 1897.

DATAMP Patents for M. E. Campfield (not all apply to Cleveland Screw Wrench.)

Person Tags: 

Cleveland Wrench & Manufacturing Company

Cleveland, OH - Incorporated October 28, 1901.  A notice in the 1/1/1902 edition of The Plumber's Trade Journal notes the officers as W. F. Hoppensack - Pres.; J. F. Burr - VP and GM; H. A. Stahl - Sec./Treas.  The article notes they have been formed to produce the Cleveland "Double Grip" pipe wrench.  We believe it is highly likely that is is actually J. "T." Burr, and the company was formed to produce a pipe wrench based on Patent #710,179 - Wrench - Jesse T. Burr of Cleveland.  At some point we believe the name was changed to simply the Cleveland Wrench Company.  The company is listed as late as 1949 in hardware directories.

Wrenches branded Cleveland with Patent #D138,173 by Edward Matthews have been found.

Edward Matthews Patents

 

 

Clip-Bar Manufacturing Company

Philadelphia, PA -

Trade Names, Brands & Trademarks

 

 

 

Cochran Pipe Wrench Manufacturing Co.

Cochran Pipe Wrench Manufacturing Co. (Chicago, IL) - Formed to produce Patent #885,322 by James M. Cochran of Paducah, KY.  This earlier Cochran patent for a pipe wrench is also relevant, Patent #597,762.  Here is another pipe wrench patent from later attributed to Mr. Cochran, Patent #1,071,703.

James M. Cochran Patent 527,592 - Wrench

The 12/1/1919 edition of Chilton Tractor Journal reports the Cochran Pipe Wrench Mfg. Co. has changed their name to the Cochran Mfg. & Forging Co.  The article depicted in Image 2 below describes a new facility being erected in Chicago.  Interestingy, it also notes that for the prior 2 years (1908-1910) the Cochran pipe wrenches have been produced by Kilborn & Bishop but that they were no longer able to keep pace with demand.

According to the Plumber's Trade Journal of 1/15/1921, the Larco Wrench & Mfg. Co. took posession of the Cochran company on April 5, 1920.  The article notes they will continue to produce and market Cochran products under the Cochran brand.  An article in the 6/25/1920 edition of The Purchasing Agent seems to contradict this acquisition in reporting that Cochran has been acquired by the Great Lakes Forge Co.  This article from the 3/25/1920 edition of Iron Age reports the following officers of Great Lakes Forge Co.: G. C. Hodgson - Pres., W. C. West - VP, W. F. Sheffler - Sec/Treas. 

William F. Sheffler - Patent (Design) #D54,461 - Combination Wrench and Spring-Leaf Oiler - Assigned to Cochran.

The famous Cochran Speednut Wrenches are based on Edwin W. Cochran's Patent #1,395,800.  An interesting article appears in the 3/16/1922 edition of the Twin-City Sentinel (Winston-Salem, NC) noting that Mr. Charles H. Mebane has made improvements to E. W. Cochran's patent and will begin manufacturing and selling this wrench under the Mebane Wrench Co., marketed as "The Quick Grip" wrench.  The article further "insinuates" that Mr. Mebane patented improvements to the design on February 21, 1922, but we have been unable to locate said patent.  Also, the article speculates production and distribution will begin on 5/1/1922.  Lastly, the article notes that Mr. Mebane has yet another patented design of Mr. Cochran's that he intends to produce and market once the first design shows promise.  We assume this is Edwin W. Cochran Patent #1,368,900 - Wrench.

Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks

  • Cochran (Pipe Wrenches)
  • Speednut (Wrenches) (First Use 3/1/1914)
Image: 
Image 2 Description: 

Railway Age Gazette - 10/14/1910

Image 2: 

Coes Wrench Company

Worcester, MA - According to his obituary, Loring Coes invented his first wrench in 1828.  His first patent however is dated 1941. 

The merger of the L. Coes & Co. and A. G. Coes & Co., forming the Coes Wrench Company, is announced in the 8/2/1888 edition of Iron Age.

At some point in the early 1900s, Coes was acquired by Bemis & Call.  On 2/28/1939 the acquisition of the wrench lines of Bemis & Call and Coes by Billings & Spencer is announced.  It was also reported that Bemis & Call would continue manufacturing locks resulting from their acquisition of the Sesamee Lock Co. of Hartford a few months prior.

Brands, Trade Names & Trademarks

  • COES - Block Text (Wrenches) (First Use 1873 by Predecessor L. Coes Co.)
  • Micro-Ground (Machine Blades or Knives) (First Use May, 1895 by Loring Coes & Company)

  • MICRO-GROUND (Knives & Cutters for Cutting and Shearing Machines) (First Use December, 1896 by Loring Coes & Co.)

  • MICRO-GROUND (Machine Knives consisting of flat or plate blades with square, concave, or beveled edges) (First Use December, 1896)

  • "Knife-Handle" - Hyphenated with underscore, Block Text (Adjustable Screw Wrenches) (First Use 2/1885 by Predecessor L. Coes & Co.)
  • Hammer Handle - (Adjustable Screw-Wrenches) (First Use 8/1/1904)

  • 91 - text inside a Star (Adjustable Screw Wrenches, including a style of such wrenches constructed entirely of steel) (See page 238 of Link)

DATAMP patents related to Coes

Davistown Museum Coes History Page

Wikipedia Link

Convertible Ratchet Wrench Company

Company charter announced in the Harrisburg Telegraph on 12/1/1911 with an initial capital of $15,000.  Company disposition is unknown and the last listing we can find is in 1921.  This company was formed to manufacture J. C. Hawes Patent #1,050,131, filed in October of 1910 and awarded 1/1913.

Convertible Ratchet Wrench Co. (Allentown, PA)

DATAMP link

Person Tags: 
Image: 
Image 2 Description: 

Example from wrenchingnews.com Spring 2017 Auction

Image 2: 

Cook, Roswell F.

Roswell F. Cook (Illion, NY) -

DATAMP Patents for R. F. Cook

Cornwell Quality Tools

For details and specifics on Cornwell, please see "Todd's Research" blog on Cornwell.

The Cornwell Tools Co. was established circa August of 1919 in Cayahoga Falls, OH with $50,000 of capital stock.

B. L. Coleman - President; Eugene Cornwell - Vice-President; H. L. Wandschneider - Secretary, Treasurer & General Manager

A report to the Secretary of State dated 1920 also mentions a C. L. Barnes, but indicates no position or title.

A recently obtained article from the Akron Library (dated 8/11/1967) profiles the life of the philanthropic Frank Kemmerline.  It identifies Kemmerline as a major investor in Cornwell at the time of its founding in 1919.  The article also states that by 1924, Kemmerline was Treasurer and General Manager and moved the company to Mogadore shortly after becoming GM.  Further, the article states that Kemmerline donated the 2 acres upon which the Mogadore Cornwell factory was built.

As a result of this new information on Mr. Kemmerline, as well as the snippet of the formation of the Titan-Rite Co. by Coleman and Cornwell, we believe and assert that Kemmerline & Ingersoll took over operations of Cornwell in 1924, at which point Eugene Cornwell moved on to other business, no longer having a role in the Cornwell company, except perhaps as an investor.

The 1926 Year Book of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers appears to list a Chas B. Ingersoll as President of Cornwell Quality Tools Co.  He is still listed as President in the 1928 edition.

The December 21, 1956 Edition of the Akron Beacon

The newspaper reports Mr. Kemmerline's retirement at age 74 and a "new team at the healm" of Cornwell operations.  The article notes he has been with Cornwell for 36 years (1920) and states that Mr. Kemmerline will stay on as Director and Chairman of the Board.  The article goes on to note that C. B. Ingersoll Sr. (age 72) has also resigned as President but will remain as Director.  The following is identified as the new management team:

  • Charles M. Zust - President & General Manager (former head of the Charles M. Zust Co. industrial management consultants and active consultant to Cornwell, as well as Chairman of the Executive Committee and a Director for the prior 2 1/2 years)
  • E. Arthur Kemmerline - Treasurer (Former VP, brother of J. F. Kemmerline and Cornwell veteran of 20 years.)
  • Robert C. Brouse - Secretary (Served as a Director at Cornwell since 1954)
  • Clifford E. Rickel - Controller and Assistant Treasurer (former Assistant Treasurer)
  • Kenneth H. Hulbert - VP Sales (Former General Sales Manager)
  • C. B. Ingersoll Jr. - Head of new product development and new Member of the Executive Committee

The article also notes many of Frank Kemmerline's achievements and affirms he will be acting in a consulting capacity.  His achievements as noted in the article include:

  • Instrumental in the early introduction of alloy steels to the industry;
  • Director of the Mogadore Savings Bank;
  • VP & Director of Permanent Federal Savings & Loan Association of Akron;
  • President of the Board of Trustees during construction of Green Cross Hospital in Cuyahoga Falls;
  • Trustee East Akron Board of Trade;
  • Member of Village Council of Mogadore;
  • Chairman of the Mogadore Sewer and Water Committee;
  • Along with his brother Arthur, planned developed and operated the Mogadore Knolls Golf Club.

While not tool related, it is interesting to note here that in 1964, the House Committee on Banking and Currency / Subcommittee on Domestic Finance published a report naming Frank Kemmerline as one of the "Twenty Largest Stockholders of Record in Member Banks of the Federal Reserve System."

Cornwell Quality Tools (Cayahoga Falls, OH)

Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks

  • CORNWELL-SKIDMORE - Block Text (Sockets, Wrenches, Ratchets, etc.) (First Use 9/10/1959)
Image Description: 

This brief article is from the Iron Age publication dated 1919.

The article also mentions previous forging operations utilizing the "Cornwell Process" in Pittsburgh, PA. It has recently been discovered that the referenced "Pittsburgh - Cornwell Process" was his father's company, The Keystone Forging Co.  Please see above link to Todd's Research for more details.

Image: 
Image 2 Description: 

By 1925, advertisements for Cornwell Tools appeared in virtually every edition of Popular Mechanics touting "unbreakable," "money back guarantee," and "try our strength tests."

Image 2: 
Image 3: 

Cornwell Drive Tool Accessories

View Reference: 

Cornwell Ratchets

View Reference: 

Cornwell Sockets

View Reference: 

Cornwell Wrenches

Cortland Wrench Company

Cortland Wrench Company (Cortland, NY) - The earliest mention we find of this company is ca. 1888.  Factory burned 1/20/1898 and the officers at that time were J. H. Wallace, W. W. Hout, and P. B. Canfield.  The article on the fire notes the company was started (probably incorporated) a year prior.  The company was started to manufacture a bicycle wrench patent.  A 9/27/1897 Elmira, NY newspaper article notes Cortland Wrench Co. has just received 2 large orders for wrenches; 50,000 from London and 25,000 from Berlin.

An interesting note is that J. H. Wallace, David F. Wallace, C. L. Kinney and others incorporated the Cortland Forging Company (drop forgings) on 8/14/1895.  It too was completely destroyed by fire in early April of 1896.  In February of 1908 C. L. Kinney (Pres. since inception) resigns as President due to health and none other than Fred L. Titchener (See Storms Drop Forge - Frank S. Titchener) becomes President.

The 2/18/1892 edition of Iron Age notes the success of the Wescott Wrench Company, mentioning they are the successors to the Cortland Wrench Company.

By at least 1899 (Binghamton City Directory), possibly earlier, Mr. Canfield has established Canfield & Co. / Canfield Gas Engine Works to produce small farm engines.

Phillip B. Canfield, Patent #575,592 - Wrench

Craftsman Tool Company

There have been many companies that bore the name Craftsman, aside from the one we all know as the Sears flagship brand, now owned by Stanley.  Below we will post the incorporation announcements from other companies we discover bearing that name.

George Heckling of Cleveland, Patent #870,781 - Pipe Wrench - An example of this wrench can be found on Tool Talk in the first post in this thread.

 

Image Description: 

This announcement appears in the American Machinist, Volume 40 - January - June, 1914.

Image: 
Image 2 Description: 

This announcement appears in the Ohio Journal of Commerce, Volume 9 - January 3 - January 10, 1914

Image 2: 

Crescent Forgings Co.

Crescent Forgings Co. (Oakmont, PA) Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks

  • Rothweiler (Pipe Wrenches)
  • CRESCO (Wrenches) (First Use 5/1/1909)

Crescent Forgings Co. Patents 

Harvey Nelson Rothweiler Patent #887,697 - Wrench - 5/12/1908

Harvey Nelson Rothweiler Patent #898,267 - Wrench - 9/8/1908

First mention of the Crescent Forgings Co. is 1905.  We found a newspaper article from November of 1914 noting that their plant had shut down "a few months ago."

Image: 

Crescent Manufacturing

Crescent Tool Co.

The December 10, 1907 edition of Hardware reports that the J. P. Danielson company has been dissoved, having been taken over by Crescent Tool Company Inc.  This is confusing based on the below information, as well as this report from Domestic Engineering and the Journal of Mechanical Contracting, Volume 49 - October 2, 1909.  However, we find the notice regarding the formation of Crescent, and it's taking over of J. P. Danielson in multiple publications in 1907.  This example, from The American Exporter - October, 1907, names Mr. Karl Peterson as the President of the newly established Crescent Tool Co.  This announcement from Steel and Iron - July 8, 1907, identifies the following officers of the newly incorporated ($30,000 capital stock) Crescent Tool Co.:

  • Karl Peterson
  • Albin Karlson (Note: see above biographical reference, and note spelling of last name)
  • Charles F. Falldin
  • John E. Anderson
  • Charles S. Grover

This article from a 1909 edition of Motor Cyclopaidia notes Karl Peterson as President and C. F. Falldine as Secretary and Treasurer of Crescent Tool Co.  It also notes the establishment date as 1902 and capital investment of $20,000.

Karl Peterson passed away on 6/20/1933, and operation of the company was taken over by his son, Marvin L. Peterson.

In 1960, Crescent Tool Co. is a acquired by a group of investors and the name changed to Crescent Niagara.

Crescent Tool Co. (Jamestown, NY)

Contract Production for:

  • J.H. Williams
  • Fairmount Tool & Forge
  • Bonney
  • Vlchek

Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks

  • CRESTOLOY (Wrenches & Pliers) (First Use 11/27/1930)

  • Crescent (Pliers, Adjustables) (First Use 1907) // This Updated Filing from 1935 adds other products / tools to the list upon which this trademark is applied.

  • Simplex (Pliers)
  • Cee Tee Co. (Pliers) (First Use October, 1913)

  • CTCO (Logo - Pliers) (First Use 9/1/1907)

  • Hamr-Handl (Screwdriver with stowable Hammer Head on Handle)
  • MoToR KiT (Pliers) (First Use 6/12/1913)

Crescent Tool Co. Patents

Image Description: 

In 1886, Karl Peterson, Swedish immigrant, designs & patents machine to carve bed post spindles. He would later found the Crescent Tool Company.

Image: 

Cronk & Carrier Manufacturing Company

This link will take you to a detailed history for William Cronk - Some highlights: He owned a HW store (N. H. Conkin & Co.) where he invented tools and his barn door hanger.  This led to the establishment of his company in 1883, which turned into the Cronk & Carrier Co., which was eventually sold in 1932.

The following excerpt is From: Our County and its people; A History of the Valley and County of Chemung; BY: Ausburn Towner; D. Mason & Co., Publishers; Syracuse, N. Y. 1892

Cronk Hanger Co., The. - This company was organized and incorporated in Elmira in 1885 with Charles R. Pratt as president and C. F. Carrier secretary and treasurer. Its capital stock is $50,000, its manufactory being at Havana and its business headquarters at Elmira. Comparatively a new industry it started in a small way, but its growth has been rapid and continuous, its increase for the past three years being from forty to fifty per cent, per annum. It employs from thirty to forty men in the shops and keeps five men on the road. The Cronk hanger is sold throughout the United States. Its specalties are steel covered, anti friction, barn door hangers of the two separate designs under patents of both Cronk and Carrier Carrier's double braced steel rail, Cronk's adjustable stay roller, steel hangers, Cronk's steel hangers for wood truck, etc.

The Cronk & Carrier Mfg. Co. (Emlira, NY)

Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks

  • Cronk's (Chisels, Pliers)
  • Elmira (Screwdrivers)
  • Star (Screwdrivers)
  • Cronk (Wrenches)

Cronk & Carrier Patents

William Cronk Patents

Danaher Tool Company

Danielson, J. P. Company

J. P. Danielson

The J. P. Danielson Company was formed as a partnership between Albin Carlson and J. P. Danielson sometime in approximately 1903.  In 1907, Mssrs Carlson and Danielson split, their partnership was dissolved and business assumed by the Crescent Tool Company, Inc. and Mr. Karl Peterson.  Apparently, over the next year or two Mr. Danielson regrouped and reformed the J. P. Danielson company and started anew without Mr. Carlson.  In January of 1947, J. P. Danielson was acquired by the Plomb Tool Co. of Los Angeles.  This article from Western Machinery and Steel World announces the acquisition.

"Prove Your Work" Section - Evidence and detailed history:

This biography on Albin Joseph Carlson from the History of Chautauqua County New York and it's People, by John Phillips Downs, published 1921, notes that Mr. Carlson teamed up with J. P. Danielson to start the company.  It also mentioned that he had been working 8 years for the Peterson Crest Tool Co. in Jamestown.  We have found no evidence yet but the possibility remains that this company could be related to Karl Peterson, given their eventual apparent takeover of the J. P. Danielson Co. in 1907.  Mr. Carlson passed away in 1918.  The biography notes that his wife retained his interest in the company (Crescent Tool Co. - See Below).

The earliest reference we have been able to locate on J. P. Danielson & Co.  From The Iron Age, December 3, 1903.

The December 10, 1907 edition of Hardware reports that the J. P. Danielson company has been dissoved, having been taken over by Crescent Tool Company Inc.  This is confusing based on the below information, as well as this report from Domestic Engineering and the Journal of Mechanical Contracting, Volume 49 - October 2, 1909.  However, we find the notice regarding the formation of Crescent, and it's taking over of J. P. Danielson in multiple publications in 1907.  This example, from The American Exporter - October, 1907, names Mr. Karl Peterson as the President of the newly established Crescent Tool Co.  This announcement from Steel and Iron - July 8, 1907, identifies the following officers of the newly incorporated ($30,000 capital stock) Crescent Tool Co.:

  • Karl Peterson
  • Albin Karlson (Note: see above biographical reference, and note spelling of last name)
  • Charles F. Falldin
  • John E. Anderson
  • Charles S. Grover

This article from a 1909 edition of Motor Cyclopaidia notes Karl Peterson as President and C. F. Falldine as Secretary and Treasurer of Crescent Tool Co.  It also notes the establishment date as 1902 and capital investment of $20,000.

The August and September, 1913 issues of The Iron Age both report that the J. P. Danielson Co. is nearing completion on construction of their new factory.

The July 1st, 1917 The Plumbers Trade Journal announces the publication of Catalog #5, consisting of pliers and wrenches recently published by the J. P. Danielson Co.

The February 13, 1921 edition of The Plumber's Trade Journal shows a nice advertisement and mentions Catalog #6.

In the May 13, 1920 edition of Iron Age, the announcement of the incorporation of J. P. Danielson is announced.  Capital stock of $300,000.  Officers include:

  • J. P. Danielson
  • K. Tornebohn
  • A. Swanson

In 1923, Mr. A Swanson filed a patent for a turn signal.

The 1932 edition of Poor's Index still lists John P. Danielson as President.

On 7/30/1935, Carl Sundberg filed for a patent on a wrench holder.  The patent #2,083,130 was awarded on 6/8/1937 and assigned to J. P. Danielson Co.

In 1941, Hardware Age Volume 147 reports that J. P. Danielson has taken over as President after J. P. Danielson Sr.'s passing.

In November / December of 1946, J. P. Danielson Co. was acquired by the Plomb Tool Co.

J.P. Danielson Co. (Jamestown, NY)

Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks

  • Auto-Kit (Wrenches)
  • Controlled Steel (Wrenches)
  • Bet'R-Grip (Adjustables) (First Use 1933)

Contract Production for

  • P&C
  • Plomb Tool
  • Proto
  • Sears - Craftsman
  • Sears - Dunlap
  • Sears - Fulton
  • Sears - Merit

 Key Tool Stamping Terms (stamped/forged into tools):

  • Controlled Steel

J. P. Danielson Pliers

Davis Wrench Company

Davis Wrench Company (Elmira, NY) - Dissolved by order of the Governor in April, 1924.  Most certainly formed to produced wrenches against Patent #286,913 in 1883 by Robert W. Davis and assigned to the company.

Person Tags: 

Detroit Wrench Company

Detroit Wrench Company (Detroit, MI) - The Michigan Annual Report has the company charter as September, 1906.  The October, 1908 edition of Engineering Review carries the announcement of the formation of the company to manufacturer the Ewer line of wrenches.  Officers noted in this article are: Charles S. Tolsma - Pres., M. G. Ewer - VP and GM, and Walter G. Toepel - Sec. & Treas.

A July 1908 newspaper article announces a stockholder meeting to take place.  The notice contains reference to 3 gentlemen at the bottom: M. G. Ewer (see Ewer Wrench Company below), Chas. S. Tolsma, and W. G. Toepel.

On August 16, 1910, M. G. Ewer was granted his second wrench Patent #967,355 which we believe prompted the formation of the Ewer Wrench Company (see below).

Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks

  • Ewer (Pipe / Nut Wrenches)

Diamond Calk & Horsehoe

Just prior to founding Diamond Calk, Otto Swanstrom was the Superintendent of the Giant Grip Horse Shoe Company.  It appears the company and Mr. Swanstrom had a falling out at some point as the 3/6/1908 edition of The Little Falls Herald reports Mr. Swanstrom winning a lawsuit against the company.

Diamond Calk Horseshoe Co. (Duluth, MN)

Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks

  • Diamalloy (letters in arch) - (Tin Snips, pullers)

  • Diamond (with double triangle) - (Wrenches, Pliers) (First Use "Latter part of 1920)

  • Diamond (with triangle) - (Wrenches) (First Use 1919)

Contract Production for:

  • Plomb Tool (Adjustables)
  • Sears - Craftsman (Adjustables)
  • Sears - Fulton (Adjustables)
  • Sears - Merit (Adjustables)
  • Snap-On (Adjustables)
  • S-K (Adjustables)
  • MAC (Adjustables)
  • MATCO (Adjustables)
  • Kelley-How-Thomson (K.H.T.) Company (Adjustables)
  • Montgomery Wards - Master Quality (Adjustables)
  • Blue-Point (Pliers)

Diamond Calk & Horseshoe Patents

Otto Swanstrom (Founder) Patents

Diamond Wrench Company

Diamond Wrench Company (Portland, ME) - This Maine state business report indicates the company was founded July 4, 1881 in Skowhegan but this incorporation states "for the Dominion of Canada."  The Maine "State Year Book" for 1882 lists L. L. Morrison as GM.  A July 1883 newspaper notes that the factory will be ready to produce the patent wrenches by 9/1/1883, and that they took over the Whitney Gaiter Co. factory in Portland.  By December of 1884, American Machinist reports production at 35 dozen/day.  Destroyed by fire 3/3/1886 // A. C. Libby - Treasurer 12/1886.  The factory began making wrenches again in August of 1887, noting production at about 300/day.  This edition of the Portland Board of Trade Journal reports the purchase and renaming of the company.  The new owners are A. C. Libby and H. N. Pinkham, who renamed the company the Diamond Wrench & Tool Company.  It further reports that besides wrenches, they will manufacture bit braces, hammers, screwdrivers, padlocks and cutting nippers.  The first mention of the production of a catalog was in 1889.  This article from Carpentry & Building notes a new method for attaching hammer and hatchet heads to handles.  The company seems to simply disappear around 1897.

Founded to produce wrenches in multiple sizes based on Patent #286,653 by Henry A. Thompson of Farmington, ME.

Dixon Wrench Company

Dixon Wrench Company (New York, NY) - 9/10/1907 edition of Hardware - Incorporated 8/19/1907 by Jay J. Dixon, Curtis M. Shawkey, and Roy Dixon. 

The 8/24/1907 edition of Domestic Engineering notes the formation of the company and names officers E. A. Montfort and Fred Knowlton - (could be a different company?)  The 6/13/1910 edition of Industrial World notes the charter again in Warren, PA and names Paul T. DeFrees as Treasurer, and the following as Directors: B. W. Rogers, J. H. DeFrees, and Paul T. Defrees. 

This company was likely founded to produce wrenches against Jay J. Dixon's pipe wrench patent #837,809.  The company appears to have been re-chartered in Warren, PA in 1910.  Warren, PA is the home of Jay J. Dixon.

Dudly (Sometimes Dudley) Tool Co. / A. Dudly Manufacturing Co.

Dudley Tool Co. / Dudley Manufacturing Co. (1921) (Menominee, MI)​ - The earliest indications of a Dudly company come from an August, 1895 newspaper article noting that

Albert Dudly, a Menominee, Mich. bicycle repairer, has constructed a light roadster and will endeavor to form a company for its manufacture.

By 1898, newspapers refer to Mr. Dudly as "Menominee Businessman."

Trade Names, Brands and Trademarks

  • Dudley (Wrenches)

Incorporation notice from the Engineering Review of October, 1905.  It lists Herman Heinrichs, Albert Dudley Sr., and William Green as principals.  The 8/15/1905 edition of The Green Bay Gazette reports that Herman Heinrichs has left his position with the Morley-Murphy Hardware Company to take over as President of the Dudly Tool Company, formerly known as the A. Dudly Manufacturing Company.  The article also acknowledges Mr. Greene(sp).  By 1914, the company is making cycle cars.  For those with access to Newspapers.com, here is an interesting article about a retiree in 1963 recalling the cycle car's design and production.  Upper Peninsula of Michigan: A History also notes the Dudly Tool Company several times.

Albert Dudly (note spelling) Patent #669,742 - Wrench (spelled Dudley in 1901 Gazette)

Albert Dudly Design Patent #D34,901 - Slide piece for wrenches

Albert Dudly Design Patent #D35,421 - Wrench Stock

Albert Dudly (note spelling) Sr. Patent #754,754 - Nail Extractor

Albert Dudly (note spelling) Sr.​ Patent #1,003,997 - Wrench

Albert Dudly (note spelling) Sr.​​ Patent #842,165 - Spike Puller - Assigned to Dudly Tool Co.

Dunston Ratchet Wrench Company

The Dunston Ratchet Wrench Company (La Crosse, WI) (Moved to Decatur, IL Nov, 1904) - Most likely founded to manufacture Patent #734,408 of Horace G. Dunston of Santa Monica, CA.

Person Tags: 

Duro Metal Products

Here is the link to our Duro Research Page

Duro Metal Products Co. (Chicago, IL)

Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks

  • Spin-Flex - Block Text (Wrenches & Screwdrivers) (First Use 5/1/1936)
  • XPERT - Block Text (Mechanics Hand Tools) (First Use 7/7/1973)
  • SLR - Block Text (Quick Release Ratchet) (First Use 3/11/1982)
  • Socket Mate with Heart between Words (Socket Wrench Sets) First Use 11/1/1977)

  • Roberts - Block Text (Quick Release Ratchet) - No document image in TSDR
  • DC (Logo for Tool Boxes and Carriers, as well as most hand tools) (First Use 9/15/1976)

   Contract Production for

  • Western Auto - ChromeXQuality (Wrenches, Sockets, Drive Accessories)
  • Western Auto - Westline
  • Western Auto - Perfection (Wrenches)
  • Western Auto - Wizard
  • Sears - Cross Country (Wrenches)
  • Sears - Durobilt
  • Montgomery Wards - Riverside (Wrenches, Sockets)
  • Montgomery Wards - Master Quality (Sockets, Drive Tools, Ratchets)
  • Montgomery Wards - Powr-Kraft (Sockets)

Duro Metal Products Patents

Duro Catalogs

Duro Drive Tool Accessories

View Reference: 

Duro Metal Products Pliers

Duro Patents

View Reference: 

Duro Ratchets

View Reference: 

Duro Sockets

View Reference: 

Duro Wrenches

View Reference: 

Eagle Claw Wrench Company

There is not much known about the Eagle Claw Wrench Company.  Nearest we can tell is they were formed sometime in 1910 or 1911, which is when the first mentions of the company surface.  Their first patent was in 1912.  The latest advertisement we see for the company during our searches is 1919.  However, the Chronical of Early American Industries Association does provide a snippet indicating that Eagle Claw was acquired by the Mechanics Machine Company (organized in 1891) which ultimately in 1928 became Borg-Warner.

Notice the TM below.  Mr. Schlehr was also co-founder of the Safety Nut-Lock Company in October of 1904.

Napoleon Grandchamp and Joseph Schlehr Patent #740,553 - Bolt Holder - Assigned to Joseph Schlehr.

Eagle Claw Wrench Co. Patents in DATAMP

Note: DATAMP patents for Mr. Schlehr are listed under Joseph A. Schlehr (2) and Joseph Anthony Schlehr (5).

Brands, Trade Names & Trademarks

Earl Wrench Company

Earl Wrench Company (Portland?, OR) - Incorporated 10/25/1914 by Virgil D. Earl, Frank E. Mangold, and George W. Frazier.  Likely founded to produce Virgil D. Earl's Socket Bit Wrench, Patent #1,107,769.  In January, 1923 they appear on a list of corporations having not paid their license fees to the state for 2 years.

Easco

From Wikipedia: Easco Hand Tools was an American manufacturer of hand tools. It was founded in 1901 and was based in Hunt Valley, Maryland. It is best known for being the main supplier of mechanic's tools for the Craftsman brand. Its tools were also sold under the Allen and KD Tools brands after its acquisition by Danaher Corporation. The brand name was gradually phased out during the 1990s. History The company began as Eastern Stainless Steel Corporation, a manufacturer of stainless and specialty steel. In 1967, the company acquired Moore Drop Forging, a Springfield, Massachusetts-based tool manufacturer and the primary supplier of Craftsman mechanic's tools. Easco continued the Craftsman contract with Sears. By 1969, the company was known as the Easco Corporation. In 1985, the company was purchased by the investment brothers Steven Rales and Mitchell Rales and taken private. The hand tools division of the company was taken public, and the other divisions were sold to an investment group including Citicorp Venture Capital. In 1990, the hand tool division was acquired by the brothers' Danaher Corporation. This acquisition made the tools division the largest part of Danaher. In 1991, Sears selected Danaher to be the exclusive supplier of Craftsman mechanic's tools. In 2010, Danaher merged its tools division with Cooper Tools to form Apex Tool Group. The same year, Apex closed the Gaston, North Carolina plant where Easco manufactured sockets since 1978.

Easco Drive Tool Accessories

View Reference: 

Easco Hand Tool - Wrenches

View Reference: 

Easco Sockets

View Reference: 

Edelmann, E. & Company

This company shows up as early as 1912 in a job advertisement for a stenographer.  The founder appears to have been Eric Edelmann but we believe the company was run by Leo Edelmann.  Here is a nice company history from the current organization known as Plews & Edelmann.  In 1929 they merged with W. F. Martin, Inc. but continued operating under the E. Edelmann & Co. name.

E. Edelmann & Co. (Chicago, IL)

Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks

  • Han-D (Wrenches)
  • Sextet (Wrenches)
  • E. E. (Wrenches)

Edelmann & Co. Patents

Edmonds-Metzel Manufacturing Company

Edmonds-Metzel Manufacturing Company (Chicago, IL)​ - The earliest indications of a company come from 1896 as Edmonds, Metzel & Cole Mfg. Co.  By 1900, Edward Metzel is President of the company.

Jay D. Edmonds Patent #816,570 - Tool for straightening bolts and retracing the threads thereon - Assigned to Edmonds-Metzel

John Merckens Patent #825,401 - Wrench - Assigned to Edmonds-Metzel

John Merckens Patent #828,859 - Combined wrench and thread retracing tool - Assigned to Edmonds-Metzel

Edwinson Ratchet Wrench Company

The Edwinson Ratchet Wrench Company (Topeka, KS) - Incorporated 11/8/1923 by L. A. Edwinson - Pres., L. A. Hartman - VP, M. G. Delph - Sec., L. E. Stone Asst. Sec., A. F. Weese - Treas., and E. A. Wysong - Director.  Article notes wrenches being manufactured by Capital Iron Works of Topeka.  Here is Louis Edwinson's 1921 ratchet wrench patent #1,391,619 upon which the company was likely founded.

Efficiency Device Corp

Efficiency Device Corp. (New York, NY) - Incorporated 2/14/1919 to produce "Factory Supplies" by C. R. Tock (Flushing), Henry A. Tremaine (Cleveland), and W. O. Vivarttas (NJ).  See the DATAMP link below for Mr. Vivarttas' extensive list of inventions.  Mr. Tremaine appears to have been a prolific business investor.  He was Treasurer of the Peerless Motor Car Company, which became the Peerless Truck and Motor Corp. in 1915, Mr. Tremaine becoming Sec./Treas., National Lamp Works (General Electric), Trafolite Mfg. Co., Bond Clothing Co., Kelvinator and, as far as we can tell, scores more.  The final mentions we found for this company are from 1922, with no hint to it's disposition.  However, it is worth noting that the Stix-On TM was awarded in August of 1922 and that Mr. Vivarttas was the applicant.

William O. Vivarttas - Patent #1,276,596 - Work Holding Device

William O. Vivarttas - Patent #1,468,529 - Wrench

DATAMP Patents for William Vivarttas

Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks

  • Efficiency (Adjustables)
  • Stix-On (Pipe/work holding) NOTE: Notice how closely this resembles the Snap-On logo of the time.

Ellrich Hardware Manufacturing Company

Ellrich Hardware Manufacturing Company (Plantsville, CT) - Incorporated 1/17/1883 and dissolved officially in 1905.  Founded by Robert C. Ellrich.  This "snippet" view of Commemorative Biographical Record of Hartford County, CT notes that the company was founded in 1881 and the principals were: George S. Allen, T. Atwater Barnes, Sherman Blakeslee and Robert C. Ellrich.  We should probably note that Blakeslee and Allen were principals in the Blakeslee Forging Company during this time as well.

Mr. Ellrich had patents assigned to Peck, Stow & Wilcox both before and after the life of his hardware company.

The April 19, 1884 edition of Iron Age notes that Peck, Stow & Wilcox have acquired the patent rights for Ellrich & Hart saw sets and have begun production.

DATAMP Patents assigned to "Ellrich Hardware Manufacturing Company"

DATAMP Patents assigned to "Ellrich Hardware Co."

DATAMP Patents for Robert C. Ellrich

Elmore Tool Manufacturing Co.

Elmore Tool Manufacturing Co. (Hartford, CT) - This company appears to have started ca. 1908, founded to manufacture screwdrivers.  The company was acquired sometime 1914 by the Chapin-Stephens Company, which was later acquired by Stanley Rule & Level in the early 1920's.

We note a newspaper article from the Hartford Courant of 7/10/1909 incicating Mathias Mohr, formerly of the Elmore Tool Company, will begin manufacturing screwdrivers.  Mathias Mohr Patent #895,389 - Handle Fastener

Screwdriver advertisement from the Cycle and Automobile Traded Journal (ca. 1908).

Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks

  • Star (Screwdrivers)
  • Hartford (Screwdrivers)
Person Tags: 
Image Description: 

1908 Elmore Screwdrivers

Image: 

Enderes Incorporated

Enderes Inc. (Albert Lea, MN) -

Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks

  • ENDERES (All Products Produced) (First Use 3/20/1917 // First use by product in table below)

Tool Types First Use
3/20/1917
7/8/1918
5/9/1922
10/10/1925
5/6/1928
6/8/1935

 

Erie Stamping & Mfg. Co

Erie Stamping & Mfg. Co (Erie, PA) Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks

  • Esco (Wrenches, Screwdrivers)

Erie Stamping & Mfg. Co. Patents

------Founded February 9, 1904 to manufacture engine and carriage trimmings, plumbers supplies and hardware.  Here is a short excerpt from A twentieth century history of Erie County, PA.  The previously linked article states the company was organized in 1904.  In 1909 they were located at 646 W. 12th St.

Person Tags: 

Erie Tool Works

According to the History page of Lakeview Forge, the following significant events in the Erie Tool Works history:

1902 - Company founding by Frank W. Bacon at 12th & Cascade Streets.

1928 - After Bacon’s death in 1928, succeeding Presidents are his son-in-law Alan Kite and son, Edwin W. Bacon until his death in 1949.  In  1946, grandson F. Warner Bacon joins the company. 

1950’s - ETW acquires several patents for its tool designs including a pipe vise, pipe wrench, and tubing  cutters.

1951 - ETW moves to 12th and Liberty (the current location).

1952 - ETW acquires Lakeview Forge at 1725 Pittsburgh Avenue (current location) to have a source for the forgings used in its tools.   Founded in 1912, it started as Lakeside Forge Company on East Lake Rd.  In 1925, it becomes Lakeview Drop Forge Co and moves to Pittsburgh Avenue.   In 1935, the company  acquires a patent for improvements in “Methods of Forming Clevises” and becomes  Lakeview Forge and Clevis Company.

1954 - ETW purchases Stillson wrench business of Boston’s Walworth Co.

1955 - ETW files trademark for "Pipemaster" name.

1959  - ETW purchases Holland Mfg of Erie (estab. 1887)  makers of vises, melting pots, ladles, and pipecutters.    ETW starts use of the name Erie Pipemaster Tee Turner and files for patent in 1961.

1960's - ETW begins production of suspension lugs and obtains major contracts with the US Goverment.  

1964 - A sixth major expansion of Lakeview Forge is completed including new office space, new factory space (three new hammers).  At the time there are two shifts and more than 100 employees.

1964   The Erie Story quotes ETW as “the world’s largest independently owned maker of pipe wrenches”.   For more than 30 years the company produces a line of plumbing tools for Sears as well as many other private brand names (Armstrong, Ridgid, Toledo, Capewell, NYE, Skinner Seal and Reed Manufacturing). The company completes a major expansion with remodeled/enlarged offices and additional plant space.  

1965   The company is bought by Textron for its defense work.  At the time, Dewitt Bull is President and F. Warner Bacon is Vice President, both grandsons of the founder.  

1968   Dewitt Bull resigns;  Bacon becomes General Manager.  

1970 - ETW obtains a patent for a Flange Tightener.

1972 - ETW obtains a patent for a Pipe Cutter.  

1972 - Textron decides to sell the company.  F. Warner Bacon forms a buyout for both ETW and Lakeview Forge.  He makes Lakeview Forge the parent company with ETW as a division.

1975 - Matthew L. Bacon (Warner's son) begins full time at the company and in 1978 becomes GM of ETW.

1998 - F.W. Bacon promotes his son, Matthew, to President and as a member of the Board of Directors along with his sister, Kitty Bacon Koch,  who was working in sales.   Later Koch becomes VP of Sales.   F.W. Bacon remains on the Board until his passing in 2007.   

2005 - Lakeview installs its first hydraulic power hammer and induction heater so it can continue making suspension lugs to the government requirement.

2008 - Lakeview is certified ISO9001:2008.

2014 - Lakeview obtains another large government contract for suspension lugs.

2015 - After the unfortunate passing of Matthew at age 60,  Koch becomes President.

The Erie Tool Works was founded by Frank Bacon in 1902.  The 2/5/1907 edition of The Philadelphia Inquirer announces the charter of the Erie Tool Works in Erie, PA.  Initial capital is listed as $30,000.  Frank Bacon appears to have been among the founders as he is President of the company in 1911.  In 1922 they were located at 11th & French streets.  The 5/15/1928 edition of The Kane Republican announces the passing of Mr. Frank Bacon.  Interestingly, it identifies him as having held the position of Vice President at this point.

At some point, we believe during the 1960's, Erie Tool Works was acquired by Textron.  In August of 1971, Beaver Tools of Toledo (a division of Wyle Laboratories) acquired the "entire line of heavy-duty pipe wrenches and other pipe working tools" from Erie Tool Works.

Erie Tool Works (Erie, PA)

Sub Brands / Trade Names / Trademarks

  • B. C. Adjustable (Adjustables)
  • Pipemaster (Pipe Wrenches)

Erie Tool Works Patents

Ewer Wrench Company

Ewer Wrench & Tool Company // Ewer Wrench Company (Detroit & Howell, MI) - The Detroit Free Press of 7/30/1909 carries the announcment of the company charter.  The August 13,1910 edition of the Detroit Free Press announces the Incorporation of the "Ewer Wrench & Tool Manufacturing Company.  Here is a link to a picture on Flickr of the factory and it's employees at Howell, MI.  We are unsure of the date of the photo.

Malcom G. Ewer Patent #833,516 - Pipe-Wrench

On August 16, 1910, M. G. Ewer was granted his second wrench Patent #967,355 which we believe prompted the formation of the Ewer Wrench Company.  However, M. G. Ewer is listed in The Automobile Trade Directory for wrenches in 1906.  This Michigan Dept. of Labor Report suggests the factory of the Ewer Wrench & Tool Co. factory in Detroit was inspected on October 29th of 1910.  The Michigan Manufacturer & Financial Record of 8/13/1910 reports that the Ewer Wrench & Tool Co. will move from Detroit to Howell.  This snippet announcement from a 1910 edition of Iron Trade Review announces the incorporation of Ewer Wrench & Tool Co.  Here is an advertisement from October, 1911 for the Ewer Wrench.

Although only a snippet, this 1912 edition of Railway Review has an article noting the officers elected as a result of it's annual meeting.  Malcolm G. Ewer - Pres., Frederick Seagraves - VP, Stephen K.? Hartnell? - Sec. & Treas.  It also adds Fred E. Tallmadge and John S. Shields, along with the officers, as Directors.  It also notes that Ewer, Tallmadge and Hartnel? are directors of the Ewer Sales Co. which takes the entire output of the wrench production, as well as markets the Ewer automatic car seal (Patent #1,011,766).

The Michigan Manufacturer & Financial Record of 8/7/1920 reports the company's new factory will begin operations about August 10th.​  We believe the company started in Lansing ca. 1913 and the previously noted article is from Howell, MI.  Malcolm G. Ewer received Patent #833,516 on 10/16/1906 for a pipe wrench.  Please see Detroit Wrench Company above.

This edition of the Michigan Manufacturer & Financial Record indicates the company is failing and considering offering the factory for sale on May 8.

Image Description: 

1912 Advertisement for the Ewer Wrench.

Image: